Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Nurmberg

Two Saturdays ago I decided to run down using my last day on my railpass to Nurmberg, the site where Hitler held his propaganda rallies and also where kings stayed in this beautiful medieval castle. It was charming, lovely, and bustling with activity. One of my favorite parts was walking through the market in the square in front of a gorgeous church. I spent the morning wandering through town and touring Albrect Durer's old house, then the afternoon at the Documentation Center that goes through the history of Nazi propaganda, located at one of Hitler's big sites. I also walked to the podium where he spoke to enormous audiences full of beaming young supporters. Now the podium and surroundings are covered, crumbling, and forgotten. It reminded me of the poem Ozymandias, where those who once were great thought they would leave a legacy which is now in ruins and forgotten. That night I rode the 4 ish hours up to Berlin and stayed at a hostel. I realized that I might be aging out of that scene . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment