
Today I taught my first high school English class. Turns out, I like teaching! This is definitely a good thing, since I have chosen to make it my career. We studied Friar Lawrence's speech in Act II Scene III, and it is quite the change from the previous "I've known you for ten minutes - let's get married!" balcony scene in II.II. Shakespeare goes all botany on us, and talks about the potential for medicine or poison in every plant. I had the students dissect the speech, and we chatted about the definitions of virtue and vice. We talked about how something can turn into a vice, such as a leadership position, and I asked them if they were team captains, trying to think of a common high school leadership role. They all looked back with blank stares until one kid said, "um, we're freshman." Right. Forgot about the bottom rung of the food chain thing.
I also had them fill in the sentence "Life is like (something from nature) because ( . . . ). Mine was, "Life is like a slug. You always leave something behind." One kid said, "Life is like a grumpy cat. It's better when you're sleeping." Another said "Life is like a snowflake. It is beautiful while it's here, but it melts away quickly." LOVE IT! Do you have any "life is like" examples for me?
Life is like a Christmas tree. Not quite perfect or straight, but beautiful nonetheless.
ReplyDeleteI like your blog. I like you. I think you are a great teacher, so you will do quite well in your chosen career!
Love it Amy! Life IS like a Christmas tree. I like you back. Let's catch up over break.
ReplyDelete