On this day, the commemoration of Jesus Christ's death and resurrection, I want to share one of my favorite talks about the resurrection. It was written by Elder Worthlin, given in November 2006, entitled "Sunday Will Come." I know that what he says is true, and that this truth gives meaning to our lives.
"I think of how dark that Friday was when Christ was lifted up on the cross.
On that terrible Friday the earth shook and grew dark. Frightful storms lashed at the earth.
Those evil men who sought His life rejoiced. Now that Jesus was no more, surely those who followed Him would disperse. On that day they stood triumphant.
I think that of all the days since the beginning of this world’s history, that Friday was the darkest.
But the doom of that day did not endure.
The despair did not linger because on Sunday, the resurrected Lord burst the bonds of death. He ascended from the grave and appeared gloriously triumphant as the Savior of all mankind.
Each of us will have our own Fridays—those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again.
But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death—Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come.
The Resurrection transformed the lives of those who witnessed it. Should it not transform ours?"
I close this post with words from my favorite hymn: "No creature is so lowly, no sinner so depraved, but feels thy presence holy and thru thy love is saved. Tho craven friends betray thee, they feel thy love's embrace. The very foes who slay thee have access to thy grace."
It is a Happy Easter indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment