Saturday, February 11, 2012

Forget kids--teens say the darndest things!



Me: "Ok, but make sure it's in MLA format."
Student: "Who is Emily?"


Me: "You must identify what the author DOESN'T include in the description."
Student: "Ms. Bassett, I couldn't find the answer. It wasn't in the book."


Me: "Bangkok is the capitol of Thailand."
Student: "Wait, Bangkok is in Thigh-land?"


Me, four months into the school year: "This is English class. Of course you will be reading a lot.
Student, in all sincerity: "Wait, this is an English class? Not a Social Studies class? No wonder we read so much!"

4 comments:

  1. Oh, High school! You never realize how clueless you are, you just know that you're having a lot of fun. SIGH! I think you make an awesome addition to today's generation of high schooler's experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alana! I know - I wonder what I did that made teachers laugh . . .

    Btw, loved your Christmas letter. Sounds like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear sweet Andrea! I miss you and your brains. My husband comes home with GREAT lines from his jr. high schoolers too. He let them listen to a bill cosby act one day and someone asked, "Was that Martin Luther King Jr.?" The thing is, I wasn't terribly smart during my secondary education experience. But I was self aware. When I had questions like that (maybe not EXACTLY like that) I knew not to open my mouth. So in a way... I was a smarty pants. I wish you had some reason to come to Utah for a visit. If you ever do and need a place to stay... come find my couch. It needs you. I hope life is going well for you! I imagine you're the best teacher those kids have ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, thank you so much! We'll have to swap stories soon. And, you've never NOT been a smarty pants, my dear. :)

    ReplyDelete